Ushanov A.A., Mironov A.A., Frants V.D.
The paper presents the results of a study of hypothetical and true heterosis in hybrids of parthenocarpic cucumber by the main components of yield in open ground conditions in Moscow. According to the data obtained, F1 Cayman and Hobbit had high positive effects of heterosis in early yield (MPH=20.1…28.8%; HPH=10.4…14.2%), yield (MPH=24.7…44.4%; HPH=14.9…34.5%), the number of fruits from the plant (MPH=14.3…22.6%; HPH=11.1…18.8%) and average fruit weight (MPH=7.7…18.2%; HPH=3.7…13.0%). Low negative indicators of the heterosis effect were observed for earliness from germination to flowering (MPH= –3.7…-8.8%; HPH= –7.1…-10.3%) and from germination to fruiting (MPH= –3.9…-4.0%; HPH= –5.1…-7.7%). When evaluating for resistance to peronosporosis on a natural infectious background, F1 Hobbit and its inbred parental lines were susceptible both at the beginning and at the end of fruiting (6..9 points of defeat). However, when assessing at the beginning of the lesion of peronosporosis, there is a small negative heterosis effect in terms of the degree of lesion (MPH= –7.7%; HPH= –14.3%) provides a lower susceptibility of the Hobbit hybrid compared to the parent lines. Plants of the F1 hybrid Cayman were less affected by peronosporosis compared to the parent lines and F1 Hobbit both at the beginning (MPH= –11.1%; HPH= –20.0%) and at the end of the growing season (MPH= –6.7%; HPH= –12.5%), which indicates its greater resistance to peronosporosis. The value of the degree of dominance within 1 < hp < +∞ indicates the presence of a positive overdominance in the inheritance of such yield components as: the number of fruits from the plant (hp=4.0…6.0), early yield (hp=1.3) and yield (hp=2.3…5.0). A negative overdominance –1 < hp < – ∞ was observed for earliness (hp= –2.0…-6.0) and infection with peronosporosis (hp= –2.0). The values of heterosis for all characters were very significant both in relation to the average value of the parent lines, and in terms of the value of the trait in the parent line with a higher indicator. It is obvious that the presence of heterosis for the main components of yield in parthenocarpic cucumber, most likely, can ensure the breeding of heterotic hybrids for open ground.
Key words: parthenocarpic cucumber, hybrid, heterosis, overdominance, peronosporosis
Ushanov A.A., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), associate professor, Russian State Agrarian University – MTAA after K.A. Timiryazev. Phone: +7 (906) 763-65-08. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mironov A.A., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), associate professor, Russian State Agrarian University – MTAA after K.A. Timiryazev. Phone: +7 (903) 181-37-55. E-mail: email@example.com
Frants V.D., 2nd year Master of the Faculty of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Russian State Agrarian University – MTAA after K.A. Timiryazev. Phone: +7 (910) 476-98-87. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bolotskikh A.S. Growing cucumbers. Moscow. Kolos. 1975. 143 p. (In Russ.).
- Environmentally safe methods of protecting cucumbers from diseases in film greenhouses. K.L. Alekseeva, N.K. Biryukova, E.M. Maslovskaya, L.G. Smetanina. Moscow. Rosselkhoznadzor Academy, GNU VNIIO. 2010. 32 p. (In Russ.).
- Konopleva L.I., Nosova O.N. Gherkins – more and more popular. Gavrish. 2003. No5. P. 4. (In Russ.).
- Nguyen Ch.Z., Monakhos G.F., Ushanov A.A. Cucumber breeding for resistance to peronosporosis. Potato and vegetables. 2014. No3. Pp. 12–14. (In Russ.).
- Hayes H.R., Jones D.F. First generation crosses in cucumber // Ann. Rep. Conn. Agr. Exp. Sta. 1961. Pp. 319–322.
- Tkachenko N.N. Breeding work with vegetable crops at the Ukrainian vegetable farming station (1931-1934). Breeding and seed production of vegetable plants. Gribovskaya breeding station, 1920-1935. Moscow. OGIZ-Selkhozgiz. 1936. Pp. 299–324. (In Russ.).
- Heterosis. Number of authors; translated from English. Inozemtseva V.V. and Maresina T.A.; ed. Gostimsky S.A. and Maresina V.M. Moscow. Agropromizdat. 1987. 349 p. (In Russ.).
- Meshcherov E. T. Obtaining high-yielding hybrid cucumber seeds. Collection of scientific papers on applied botany, genetics and breeding. Leningrad. 1957. Vol.31. Issue 2. Pp. 223–225. (In Russ.).
- Jenkins S.F., Wehner T.C. A system for the measurement of foliar diseases in cucumbers. Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative Report. 1983. No6. Pp. 10–12.
- Dospekhov B.A. Methodology of field experience. Moscow. Agropromizdat. 1985. 351 p.
- Hallauer A.R., Miranda J.B. Quantitative Genetics in Maize Breeding. Iowa State Univ Press, Ames. 2010. 468 p. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-0766-0
For citing: Ushanov A.A., Mironov A.A., Frants V.D. Heterosis effect in hybrids of parthenocarpic cucumber in the open field. Potato and vegetables. 2021. No10. Pp. 37-40. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2021.53.90.004 (In Russ.).