Ushanov A.A., Mironov A.A., Nguen T.G.
The work is devoted to the study of correlations between the main economic characteristics of parthenocarpic cucumber when grown in the open ground. In 2019–2020, experiments were conducted with 26 F1 parthenocarpic gherkin hybrids using the method of randomized repetitions in three repetitions of 10 plants each in open ground conditions in the Russian State Agrarian University – Moscow Timiryazev Agricultural Academy, Moscow, Russian Federation. Cucumber was grown on a plot with cultivated medium-loamy sod-podzolic soils. The predecessors in 2019 were white cabbage, in 2020 onions. Agrotechnics of cultivation is carried out in accordance with the requirements adopted in the region. The average daily air temperature and precipitation from June to August 2019–2020 was higher than the average annual indicators, which favorably affected the growth and fruiting of cucumber plants. The assessment of economically valuable features was carried out according to the generally accepted methodology. The method of correlation analysis revealed a significantly high relationship between yield and early yield (r = 0.55…0.62) and the fruit weight (r = 0.61…0.73). A very strong correlation between the total yield and the number of marketable fruits per plant (r = 0.69…0.85); the yield of gherkins and the number of gherkins per plant (r = 0.75…0.96) allows selecting high-yielding combinations by the number of fruits per plant, which greatly simplifies the assessment of the yield of breeding material. The presence of a very high feedback (r = –0.89…–0.92) between early yield and earliness expressed in days to harvest indicates the possibility of selecting early-yielding samples of parthenocarpic cucumber at the time of formation of the first fruits. There was no correlation between the number of lateral shoots on the plant, peronosporosis damage and yield.
Key words: correlation, parthenocarpic cucumber, gherkin, early yield, earliness
Ushanov A.A., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), associate professor, Russian State Agrarian University – MAA named after K.A.Timiryazev. Phone: +7 (906) 763-65-08. E-mail: email@example.com. Orcid.org/0000-0001-9738-1409
Mironov A.A., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), associate professor, Russian State Agrarian University – MAA named after K.A.Timiryazev. Phone: +7 (903) 181-37-55. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Orcid.org/0000-0002-0297-500X
Nguyen Truong Giang, Cand. Sci. (Agr.), Agricultural Science Institute for Southern Coastal Central of Vietnam (ASISOV), Qui Nhon City, Binh Dinh Province, Viet Nam; Tel. + 84 938 753 077. E-mail: email@example.com Orcid.org/0000-0002-1788-4362
- Nguyen T.G., Ushanov A.A., Monakhos G.F. Breeding for resistance to downy mildew in cucumber. Potato and Vegetables. 2014. No3. Pp. 12–14. (In Russ.).
- Wehner T.C. Breeding for improved yield in cucumber. Plant Breed Rev. 1989. No6. Pp. 323–359. DOI:10.1002/9781118061039.ch8.
- Cramer C.S., Wehner T.C. Fruit yield and yield component means and correlations of four slicing cucumber populations improved through six to ten cycles of recurrent selection. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science. 1998. No123(3). Pp. 388–395. DOI:10.21273/JASHS.123.3.388.
- Cramer C.S., Wehner T.C. Path analysis of the correlation between fruit number and plant traits of cucumber populations. HortScience. 2000. No35. Pp. 708–711. DOI:10.21273/HORTSCI.35.4.708.
- Monakhos G.F., Chan Thi Kam Tu, Ushanov A.A. Correlation in breeding F1 hybrids of cucumber. Potato and Vegetables. 2013. No10. Pp. 28–29. (In Russ.).
- Jenkins S.F., Wehner T.C. A system for the measurement of foliar diseases in cucumbers. Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative Report. 1983. No6. Pp. 10–12.
- Dospekhov B. A. Methodology of field experience Moscow. Agropromizdat. 1985. 351 p. (In Russ.).
- Gonchar-Zaikin P. P., Chertov V. G. Superstructure to EXCEL for statistical evaluation and analysis of the results of field and laboratory experiments. Rational nature management and agricultural production in the southern regions of the Russian Federation. Moscow. Modern notebooks. 2003. Pp. 559–565. (In Russ.).
For citing: Ushanov A.A., Mironov A.A., Nguen T.G. Correlations in the breeding of parthenocarpic gherkin cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) in the field. Potato and vegetables. 2022. No2. Pp. 33-35. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2022.41.39.005 (In Russ.).