An assessment of the combination ability of 10 lines of late white cabbage is given. Lines are used as paternal crosses. We studied the following parameters: rosette diameter, average head weight, outer and inner stump size, head index, taste, density, number of damaged leaves of Thrips tabaci Lind. One of the main criteria for evaluating parental components in cabbage hybrids is the combinational ability (CS) of the lines, which determines the feasibility of using the line in the breeding process. Various crossing schemes are used to evaluate CS, among which the topcross method is successfully used in breeding. This method was used by us to evaluate a series of new late-maturing lines of white cabbage used as a paternal component when crossing with two maternal CMS lines of the mid-late ripening period. The purpose of the study: to determine the most promising lines that stably combine the maximum number of the necessary traits in their genotype. Scientific research was carried out in 2020–2021 on the basis of ARRIVG – а branch of FSBSI FSVC (Vereya, Ramensky District, Moscow Region). The research site belongs to the forest zone in the central part of the Russian Plain. Soils are alluvial meadows of medium loamy texture. The weather conditions during the years of the research were not entirely favorable for the cultivation of white cabbage. Precipitation above average annual values was observed in 2020. Hot dry weather, lack of moisture, favorable conditions for the development of Plutella xylostella (L.) and Thrips tabaci Lind. during the growing season were in 2021. The lack of moisture was compensated by additional irrigation. Hybrid combinations formed good heads, had high marketability and excellent quality of heads. As a result of studies conducted on white cabbage in 2020–2021, lines were identified that combine in their genotype from 2 to 5 of the studied traits. The most promising lines: Std13, 24–412n, Srk13, 24–412t. Lines Срк11 and 611 are of no value for further breeding work.
Key words: white cabbage, hybrid combination, combination ability, top-cross, lines.
Kostenko G.A., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), leading research fellow cabbage breeding laboratory, ARRIVG – a branch of the FSBSI FSVC, breeder of the Poisk agrofirm. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monakhos G.F., Monakhos S.G., Kostenko G.A. Cabbage breeding for resistance: status and prospects. Potato and vegetables. 2016. No12. Pp. 31–35. (In Russ.)
- State Register of breeding achievements approved for use [Web resource] URL: https://gossortrf.ru/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/%D0%98%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B9-%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80-2021.pdf. Access date:15.04.2022 (In Russ.)
- Litvinov S.S. Methodology of the field experiment in vegetable growing. Moscow. Rosselkhozacadeiya. 2011. 649 p. (In Russ.)
- Dospekhov B.A. Methodology of the field experiment. Moscow. Agropromizdat. 1985. 351 p. (In Russ.)
- Savchenko V.K. Metod of estimation of combinational ability of genetically diferent-quality sets of parent forms. Minsk. 1973. Pp. 48–78 (In Russ.)
- Savchenko V.K. Multi-purpose method for quantitative assessment of combination ability in breeding for heterosis. Genetics. 1978. No5. Pp. 793–804 (In Russ.)
- Diseases and pests of vegetable crops and potatoes A.K. Akhatov, F.B. Hannibal, Yu.I. Meshkov, F.S. Jalilov, V.N. Chizhov, A.N. Ignatov, V.P. Polishchuk, T.P. Shevchenko, B.A. Borisov, Yu.M. Stroikov, O.O. Beloshapkina. Moscow. KMK. 2013. Pp. 286–289 (In Russ.).
For citing: Kostenko G.A. Combination ability of the new source material of cabbage. Potato and Vegetables. 2022. No5. Pp. 34-36. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2022.49.11.006 (In Russ.).