UDC 635.11: 631.527
Timakova L.N., Kolomiets M.A., Kornev A.V.
The purpose of the research is to determine the biochemical composition of collectible samples of canteen beets and to create a new source material to improve the quality of canteen beets. The experimental work was carried out at the ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSVC in the period from 2019 to 2021. The object of research is collectible samples and polycross progeny of canteen beets. The research material is two- and three-year primary data on the chemical composition of table beet root crops. In the course of breeding work on the creation of beet varieties, new collectible samples of French, Dutch, and Italian origin were evaluated in the nursery of the source material. Samples of table beet were grown in a vegetable crop rotation. Agrotechnics on experimental plots is generally accepted for this zone. According to the content of solids, soluble sugars and betanin, the samples of F1 Monti, F1 Red Arias, F1 Cardiac were distinguished. There was a slight variation in the content of solids and sugars in the collection samples over the years of research. The most stable indicators were found in F1 Cardiac, F1 Ronda and F1 Bohan hybrids. The most variable was the content of betanin, in samples it varied from 72.9 (F1 Kestrel) up to 126.8 mg/100 g (Bebibit). Of the hybrids from polycross crossing, the highest values in terms of dry matter content (above 15%) and soluble sugars (11.9 and 12.4%) were noted in numbers 800–1 × mixture and 709 × mixture. The greatest accumulation of betanin in table beet roots (over 120 mg/100 g) is in hybrid combinations 800–2 × mixture and F1 Bohan × mixture. These samples can be used as the progenitors of future varieties in breeding to improve the quality of root crops. The samples with the highest GCA for dry matter, sugars and betanin have the mother form of which are the lines of the Modana variety. These lines can be used as sources of valuable source material to improve the quality of root crops during heterosis breeding.
Key words: red beet, source material, betanin, polycross, combining ability.
Timakova L.N. (author for correspondence), Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow, All-Russian Research Institute of Vegetable Growing – branch of Federal Scientific Centre of Vegetable Growing (ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSVC). E-mail: email@example.com
Kolomiets M.A., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), research fellow, ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSVC
Kornev A.V., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow, ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSVC
- Beet juice is a source of antioxidants. A.A. Lapin, D.V. Bykovskii, Yu.A. Davydov, V.N. Zelenkov. Potato and vegetables. 2007. No6. P. 27 (In Russ.).
- Paponov A.N. Vegetables are a source of health. Perm: Publishing House of the PGSHA, 2009. 159 p. (In Russ.).
- Russians began to consume more fresh vegetables [Web resource] URL: https://rg.ru/2020/12/28/rossiiane-stali-potrebliat-bolshe-svezhih-ovoshchej.html. Access date: 12.03.23 (In Russ.).
- Szura A., Kowalska I., Sady W. Biological value of red beets in relation to nitrogen fertilization. Veget. Crops Res. Bull. 2008. Vol. 68. Pp. 145–153. DOI: 10.2478/v10032-008-0013-4.
- Zujko M. E., Witkowska A. Antioxidant activity popular species fruits, vegetables, mushrooms and pulsem. Bromat. Chem. Toksykol. 2009. Vol. 3. Pp. 895–899.
- Evaluation of the micronu-trient composition of plant foods produced by organic and conventional agricultural methods. D. Hunter, M. Foster, J.O. McArthur, R. Ojha, P. Petocz, S. Samman. Cr. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 2011. Vol. 51. Pp. 571–582.
- Pialetti M. Betalains. Chemistry and Biochemistry of Plant Pigments. New York. Acad. Press, 1976. Vol. 1. 560 p.
- Isolation and identification of betacyanin pigments from Beta vulgaris and Amaranthus ratroflexus. I.V. Sleptsov, I.V. Voronov, E.R. Zhuravskaya, E.R. Poskachina. Chemistry grows. raw materials. 2015. No3. Pp. 111–115. DOI: 10.14258/jcprm.201503757 (In Russ.).
- Kedrov-Zikhman O.O. Polycross test in plant breeding. Minsk: Science and Technology. 1974. 128 p. (In Russ.).
- Dolgopolova M.A., Timakova L.N. Evaluation of the source material of table beet for selection for product quality. Materials of the conference for students and young scientists «Growth and reproduction of scientific personnel in agriculture and forestry» (Nizhny Novgorod, December 19–20, 2019). Nizhny Novgorod, 2020. Pp. 16–20 (In Russ.).
- Timakova L.N. A new source material for the selection of table beet. Potato and vegetables. 2022. No4. Pp. 33–36 (In Russ.).
- Sprinaitis A.P., Svirskis A.A. The effectiveness of the polycross method in the selection of creeping clover. Breeding and seed production. 1985. No3. Pp. 19–21 (In Russ.).
- Dospekhov B.A. Methodology of field experience (with the basics of statistical processing of research results). Moscow. Agropromizdat. 1985. 351 p. (In Russ.).
For citing: Timakova L.N., Kolomiets M.A., Kornev A.V. Search, selection and creation of source material to improve the quality for red beet. Potato and vegetables. 2023. No5. Pp. 37-40. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2023.60.82.006 (In Russ.).