Chistyakova L.A., Baklanova O.V., Khovrin A.N., Kornev A.V.
The problem of weak growth and low productivity of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) plants which occurs during the period of low light is one of the directions of breeding research on this culture. The cultivation of cucumber in containers at home is now becoming more popular among urban population. The purpose of the research work is to determine relationships of quantitative characteristics to plant productivity in low light conditions at early stages of cucumber development and to recommend hybrids for cultivation in these conditions. The research was carried out in the Moscow Breeding Centre of the Poisk Agro Holding on a plant culturing unit of ebb and flow system with artificial lighting during 2018-2019. Laboratory tests on the definition of chlorophyll content were carried out at ARRIVG – branch of Federal Scientific Vegetable Centre. As a result of the research, the assessment of morphological characters, the values of which are shown in quantitative terms, was carried out. The chlorophyll content in cucumber plants at the stage of 4-5 true leaves was determined. The dependences of the studied characters on the tested parthenocarpic heterosis cucumber hybrids are determined: F1 Bastion, F1 Express, F1 Piligrim, F1 Zhar-ptitsa, F1 Revansh, F1 Novator, F1 Forward, F1 Faust, F1 Bliznyashky. The method of G. Montgomery to determine the surface of cotyledonous and true leaves is used. The results of evaluation of correlation relationships are presented, which made it possible to establish the degree of dependence of morphological indicators in a certain period of growth and development of cucumber plants. It has been established that the manifestation of traits such as the area of cotyledons and true leaves, chlorophyll content and plant productivity is variety-specific. In this case, the area of the cotyledons strongly depends on the of quantity internodes (r = 0,7) and the diameter of the hypocotyl (r = 0,7); the area of true leaves is the length of the petioles (r = 0,9), the mass of the upper part (r = 0,8), the mass of the root system (r = 0,9), the diameter of the hypocotyl (r = 0,8). The chlorophyll b content is inversely proportional to the length of the petioles (r = - 0,7) and the diameter of the hypocotyl (r = - 0,8). Parthenocarpic heterosis cucumber hybrids F1 Piligrim and F1 Zhar Ptitsa are selected for growing in containers during low light period.
Key words: cucumber, hybrid, test, lack of light, root system, leaf, photosynthesis, chlorophyll, resistance to low light.
Chistyakova L.A. Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow of breeding of cucurbitaceous crops laboratory, ARRIVG – branch of the Federal State Budgetary Scientific Institution of Federal Scientific Vegetable Center (ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSCVG), breeder of Poisk Agro Holding. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Baklanova O.V., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), leading research fellow of breeding of cucurbitaceous crops laboratory, ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSCVG, breeder of Poisk Agro Holding E-mail: email@example.com
Khovrin A.N., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), associate professor, head of department of breeding and seed growing, ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSCVG, head of department of breeding and primary seed production of Poisk Agro Holding. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kornev A.V., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), research fellow of the department of breeding and seed growing, ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSVC. E-mail: email@example.com
- Mathematical methods of leaf square detection [Web resource]. URL: https://pandia.ru/text/80/145/48877.php. Access date: 29.07.2020 (In Russ.).
- Detection of leaf square by scanning method. [Web resource]. URL: https://lektsii.org/16-9334.html. Access date: 29.07.2020 (In Russ.).
- Horak I., Coon h.G., Dawid I.B. Interspecific recombination of mitochondrial DNA molecules in hybrid somatic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA.1975. 71:1828-183
- Sinha S.K., Khanna R. Physiological, biochemical, and genetic basis of heterosis. Adv Agronю 1977. 27:123–170.
- Shlyk A. A. Biosynthesis and state of chlorophylls in plants. Minsk: Science and technology, 1975. 248 p. (In Russ.).
- Green B. R., Pichersky E., Kloppstech K. Chlorophyll a/b-binding proteins: an extended family //Trends in biochemical sciences. 1991. Vol. 16. Pp. 181–186 (In Russ.).
- Boardman, N.K. (1977). Comparative photosynthesis of sun and shade plants. Annual review of plant physiology, 28(1), Pp. 355–377.
- Gavrilenko V.F., Zhigalova T. V. Large practical course on photosynthesis. Moscow: Akademiya, 2003. 254 p. (In Russ.).
For citing: Evaluation of heterosis cucumber hybrids for adaptability in low light period. L.A. Chistyakova, O.V. Baklanova, A.N. Khovrin, A.V. Kornev. Potato and vegetables. 2020. No. 8. Pp. 37–40 (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2020.21.99.006