Simakov E.A., Anisimov B.V., Zhevora S.V., Mityushkin A.V., Zhuravlev A.A., Zebrin S.N.
An overview of the current state of potato production in Russia and its prospects in the new conditions of sanctions pressure are presented. In 2021, the area under potatoes in farms of all categories amounted to 1146.3 thousand ha, including in the category of agricultural enterprises – 154.4 thousand ha, farms and sole proprietors – 125.5 thousand ha and in households – 866.5 thousand ha. The gross potato harvest in farms of all categories amounted to 18.2 million t, including 6.5 million t grown in agricultural enterprises and farms. Analysis of the dynamics of gross harvest over the past 10 years indicates a decrease in the share of households in the total potato production, while increasing the share of agricultural enterprises, farms and sole proprietors. Over the past five years, there has been a significant trend in increasing potato yields in agricultural enterprises, farms and sole proprietors. The main volume of seed production of foreign varieties (460.28 thousand t) is localized on the territory of the Russian Federation. The share of imported seed material from European suppliers was about 1% (12.29 thousand t). In the current season, due to the difficulties with transport logistics from countries unfriendly to the Russian Federation, serious problems may arise with the import of seed potatoes from Europe. In the current situation, the use of the existing potential of domestic potato varieties requires an accelerated increase in the production of seed material, since a high proportion of varieties of foreign originators can pose a real threat to stability and profitability. Russian originators have already created new promising varieties for various purposes, as well as technical varieties for starch production. It is quite reasonable to introduce a temporary cancellation of the established requirements for mandatory regional zoning of breeding achievements included in the State Register, which must apply exclusively to varieties of Russian breeding.
Key words: potato, breeding, logistics, import substitution, cultivar, produce processing.
Simakov E.A., D. Sci. (Agr.), head of the experimental gene pool department. E-mail: email@example.com
Anisimov B.V., Cand. Sci. (Biol.), head of the certification and standardization laboratory
Zhevora S.V., D. Sci. (Agr.), director
Mityushkin A.V., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow
Zhuravlev A.A., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow
Zebrin S.N., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow
Lorch Potato Research Institute
- Potato. History, nutritional value, culinary types, recipes. Edited by B.V. Anisimov. Cheboksary. 2021. 72 p. (In Russ.).
- Potato. Production, consumption, market trends, quality regulations, forecasts and prospects. B.V. Anisimov, E.A. Simakov, S.V. Zhevora, S.N. Zebrin, E.G. Blinkov, A.V. Mityushkin, A.A. Zhuravlev, A.S. Gaizatulin, Al-r.V. Mityushkin. Under the general editorship of B.V. Anisimov. Cheboksary. Novoye Vremya. 2022. 66 p. (In Russ.).
- Shpaar D., Bykin A., Dreger D. Potato. Ed. by D. Shpaar. Moscow. ID LLC «DLV Agrodelo». 2007. Pp. 11–26. (In Russ.).
- Improvement of selection of crossing components in potato breeding on higher nutritional value of tubers. E.A. Simakov, A.V. Mityushkin, A.A. Zhuravlev, Al-r V. Mityushkin, V.A. Zharova. Zemledelie. 2018. No5. Pp. 30–33. DOI: 10.24422/0044-3913-2018-10508. (In Russ.).
- Agriculture in Russia. Statistical collection. Moscow. Federal State Statistics Service (Rosstat), 2021. 102 p. [Web resource]. URL: https://rosstat.gov.ru/storage/mediabank/S-X_2021.pdf. Access date: 30.03.2022. (In Russ.).
For citing: Potato growing in Russia: current state and prospects under new conditions. E.A. Simakov, B.V. Anisimov, S.V. Zhevora, A.V. Mityushkin, A.A. Zhuravlev, S.N. Zebrin. Potato and vegetables. 2022. No4. Pp. 3-6. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2022.80.38.001 (In Russ.).