Fasulati S.R., Ivanova O.V.
The larvae of Click beetles i.e. the “wireworms” (Coleoptera, Elateridae) are the significant pests of potato tubers among the polyphagous soil-habitat insects. In the Northern-Western Area of Russia and in Leningrad Region, the potato tubers had most often damaged by larvae of the Agriotes lineatus L., of Actenicerus sjаelandicus Mull., of Selatosomus aeneus L. and of Athous niger L. click beetles species. Among them, the most numbering and dangerous species is the Agriotes lineatus L. The part of its larvae could be consist about 85–100 % on some potato plantations around the St.-Petersburg. In 2009–2020 we researched some aspects of ecology and of feeding specialization previously of its larvae on the experimental fields of the All-Russian Research Institute for Plant Protection (St.-Petersburg and Leningrad Region). On our data, the main agro-ecological factors which influence to the feeding behavior of wireworms on potato plantations and to the level of tubers damaging, are the peculiarities of growing potato varieties, and also the plants-precursors in a crop rotation and the soil humidity regime in its seasonal dynamics. The main criteria of the evaluance of potato varieties for resistance to wireworms is the percent of damaged tubers in the yield of each variety from the such experimental plot. During the period of researches we described the information about the comparative damaging by wireworms of 36 potato varieties which was evaluated at least 3 times in different ecological conditions. According to the total data of the researching in 2009–2020, the potato varieties Gusar, Nayada and Sirenevy Tuman are resistant to wireworms, and according to the preliminary data in 2019–2020 – also the varieties Axenia, Baltic Rose, Delphine, Impala, Manifest, Palaz, Red Fantasy, Rosara and Estrella. Such varieties may be used as ecological basis of systems of integrated potato protection in agricultural zones where the wireworms has a previously damaging value amond the potato insect pests.
Key words: potato, tuber, wireworm, damaging, variety, resistance
Fasulati S.R., Cand. Sci (Biol.), senior research fellow, lab. of agricultural entomology, All-Russian Research Institute for Plant Protection (VIZR). E-mail: email@example.com
Ivanova O.V., Cand. Sci (Biol.), senior research fellow, lab. of agricultural entomology, All-Russian Research Institute for Plant Protection (VIZR)
- Volgarjov S.A. The ecologotoxical substantiation of using of new insecticides against the wireworms in potato agrocenosis in the Northern-Western Rewgion of the Russian Federation. Avtoref.cand. diss. Saint Peterburg. VIZR. 2005. 19 p. (In Russ.).
- Yelanskiy S.N. (Ed.) The protection of Potato from diseases, pests and herbs. Moscow. Kartofelevod. 2009. 270 p. (In Russ.).
- The system of integrated protection of plantations of the reproductive seed potato from the complex of pest organisms in the Northern-Western Region of Russian Federation. Coll. of authors. Saint Peterburg. VIZR. 2016. 64 p. (In Russ.).
- Giordanengo Ph., Vincent Ch., Alyokhin A. (Eds.) Insect Pests of Potato: Global Perspectives on Biology and Management. Moscow. KMK. 2018. 605 p.
- Bobinskaya S.G., Grigorjeva T.G., Persin S.A. The wireworms and the fight measurements against them. Leningrad. Kolos. 1965. 223 p. (In Russ.).
- Ivanova O.V., Fasulati S.R. The polyphagous pests of solanaceous crops and the resistance of potato varieties to wireworms. Zatschita kartofelya. 2016. No1. Рp. 29–34. (In Russ.).
- Fasulati S.R., Ivanova O.V. The seasonal dynamics of wireworm activity and damage of the different potato varieties in the Northwest of Russia. Vestnik zashchity rasteniy. 2020. V.103. No4. Рp. 255-261. (In Russ.).
- Evaluation of various potato cultivars for resistance to wireworms (Coleoptera: Elateridae). Kwon M, Hahm Y.I., Shin K.Y., Ahn Y.J. Amer. J. Potato Res. 1999. Vol.76. No5. Pp. 317–319.
- Wireworm biology and nonchemical management in potatoes in the Pacific Northwest. Andrews N., Ambrosino M., Fisher G., Rondon S.I. Publication PNW 607. Oregon State University. Corvallis. OR: 2008.
- Cherepanov A.I. The Click beetles of the Western Siberia. Novosibirsk. AN SSSR, Zapadno-Sibirskiy filial. 1957. 382 p. (In Russ.).
- Shapiro I.D. (Ed.) The methodical recommendations for the evaluation of the potato and the maize for resistance to main pests (1980). Leningrad. VIZR. 138 p. (In Russ.).
- The phytosanitary destabilization of agroecosystems. Pavlyushin V.A., Vilkova N.A., Sukhoruchenko G.I., Nefedova L.I., Fasulati S.R. Saint Peterburg. Rodnye prostory. 2013. 184 p. (In Russ.).
For citing: Fasulati S.R., Ivanova O.V. Damaging of potato tubers by wireworms depending on agro-ecological conditions. Potato and vegetables. 2021. No5. Pp. 21-25. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2021.33.31.003 (In Russ.).