G.F. Monakhos, S.G. Monakhos, R.R. Alizhanova
Fifteen homozygous for Pd1 downy mildew resistance gene onion lines were developed by hybridization followed backcrossing F1 Santero of downy mildew resistant onion accession of European origin and a collection of onion inbred lines from LC Breeding station after N.N. Timofeev. The resistant to downy mildew, caused by Peronospora destructor (Berk.), plants were selected in segregated populations based on disease resistance test and molecular genotyping using DMR1-marker. The lines with a mass of bulbs 100–120 g with high preservation, which can be used in the selection of F1 hybrids as paternal components.
Keywords: onion, downy mildew, Peronospora destructor, resistance gene, molecular marker.
G.F. Monakhos, PhD, general director, Limited company «Breeding station after N.N. Timofeev». E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
S.G. Monakhos, DSc, head of the department of botany, plant breeding and seed technology, RSAU – MTAA.E-mail: email@example.com
R.R. Alizhanova, postgraduate student, department of botany, plant breeding and seed technology, RSAU – MTAA.E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Haisin M.F. Resistance of onion varieties (Allium sulfur L.) to peronosporosis Peronospora destructor. Protection of vegetable crops from diseases and weeds. Chisinau: Shtiintsa. 1978. Pp. 21-36 (In Russ.).
- Ibragimbekov M.G., Khovrin A.N. Creation and evaluation of the initial material of onions for resistance to false powdery mildew. Potatoes and vegetables. 2013. No. 2. Pp. 28-29 (In Russ.).
- Murray M.G., Thompson W.F. Rapid isolation of high molecular-weight plant DNA. Nuclear Acids Res. 1980. No.8. Pp. 4321–4322.
- Alizhanova R.R., Monahos S.G., Monachos G.F. Molecular markers in breeding onions. Potatoes and vegetables. 2019. No.2. Pp. 32–35 (In Russ.).
- Shirokov E.P. Methodical instructions on carrying out research works on storage of vegetables. Moscow: VASKHNIL. 1982. Pp. 15–16 (In Russ.).
For citing: Monakhos G.F., Monakhos S.G., Alizhanova R.R. Breeding onions with resistance to downy mildew. Potato and Vegetables. 2019. No10. Pp. 38–40.