UDC 34.23: 581.17
Zhevora S.V., Simakov E.A., Anisimov B.V., Mityushkin A.V., Zhuravlev A.A., Zebrin S.N.
The purpose of the work is to substantiate the need for innovative reform of potato breeding and seed production to solve the problem of self-sufficiency with seed material of domestic varieties. The state of the potato growing industry in the Russian Federation is characterized by the stabilization of the potato growing area at the level of 1–1.2 million ha and gross harvest of 18–20 million tons. A further reduction in the share of small farms in the total potato production and a decrease in their influence on the market of marketable potatoes is predicted. An increase in gross potato production in large-scale agricultural organizations and peasant (farmer) farms is possible both due to the expansion of areas and due to the increase in yields. There is an insufficiently high level of competitiveness of domestic varieties, which occupy about 10% of the volume of seed material used for planting. Among the main reasons, the lack of interest of commodity producers in new domestic varieties, which are still weakly competing with foreign analogues due to the lack of a proper volume of high-quality seed material from originators, is indicated. The pace of promotion of new varieties in production is delayed for many years. As part of the implementation of the FNTP Subprogram “Development of potato breeding and seed production in the Russian Federation for 2017–2030”, it is necessary to intensify the partnership between the seed breeding centers of state scientific institutions and agricultural enterprises to increase the competitiveness of domestic breeding achievements. In order to increase the efficiency of scientific support, the successful implementation of business projects and the creation of a competitive seed fund of domestic varietal resources within the framework of the Subprogram “Development of potato breeding and seed production”, it is necessary to ensure: the creation of a modern material and technical base of breeding and seed centers of state scientific institutions and agricultural enterprises for the production of original and elite seed potatoes; increasing production volumes elites up to 60 thousand tons and an increase in the share of domestic varieties in the total balance of varietal resources; strict compliance with the regulations for the production of original and elite seed potatoes; prohibition of unauthorized import and use of potato varieties not included in the State Register of the Russian Federation for planting seed material.
Key words: potato, breeding, hybrid, variety, competitiveness, seed market, interaction of science and business.
Gevora S.V. (author for correspondence), D. Sci. (Agr.), director. E-mail: email@example.com
Simakov E.A., D. Sci. (Agr.), head of the experimental gene pool department
Mityushkin A.V., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), head of the laboratory for selection of varieties for processing
Zhuravlev A.A., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow
Anisimov B.V., Cand. Sci. (Biol.), head of laboratory of varietal identification and soil control, advisor for the development of scientific and educational programs
Zebrin S.N., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), leading research fellow of laboratory of varietal identification and soil control
Russian Potato Research Center
- Simakov E.A., Anisimov B.V. Strategy for the development of potato breeding and seed production for the period up to 2020. Potato and vegetables. 2010. No8. Pp. 2–5 (In Russ.).
- Potato growing in Russia: results, forecasts, priorities of the industry development. S.V. Zhevora, B.V. Anisimov, E.V. Ovjes, N.A. Janjushkina. Potato growing: collection of scientific works. VNIIKH. Moscow. 2018. Pp. 3–15 (In Russ.).
- Zhuravleva E.V., Fursov S.V. Potato growing as one of the priority directions of the Federal scientific and Technical Program for the development of agriculture for 2017–2025. Potato and vegetables. 2018. No5. Pp. 6–9 (In Russ.).
- Bradshaw J.E., Brayn G.J., Ramsay G. Genetic resources (including wild and cultivated Solanum species) and progress in their utilization in potato breeding. Potato Res. 2006. Vol. 49. Pp. 49–65.
- Horton D. La Papa: produccion, comercializacion y programas. Potato: production, marketing and programs. Co-publication of the international potato center. Lima: Editorial Agropecuaria Hemisferio Sur. 2002. Pp. 1–270.
- Anisimov B.V. Phytosanitary zones and their role in virus-free potato seed production. Plant protection and quarantine. 2014. No11. Pp. 14–19 (In Russ.).
- Anisimov B.V. Special zones of potato seed production. Potato and vegetables. 2015. No4. Pp. 30–33 (In Russ.).
- Anisimov B.V., Smirnova L.N. Zones for elite potato seed production. Inf. Bulletin of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Russian Federation. 2015. No5. Pp. 36–39 (In Russ.).
- Minimizing the risks of viral infection in the cultivation of seed potatoes. B.V. Anisimov, E.A. Simakov, E.G. Blinkov, A.V. Mitjushkin, A.A. Zhuravlev, S.I. Loginov. Protection and quarantine of plants. 2016. No3. Pp. 33–37 (In Russ.).
For citing: Potato breeding and seed production: scientific support and business projects. S.V. Zhevora, E.A. Simakov, B.V. Anisimov, A.V. Mitjushkin, A.A. Zhuravlev, S.N. Zebrin. Potato and vegetables. 2023. No4. Pp. 6-10. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2023.22.92.003 (In Russ.).