Khovrin A.N., Kosenko M.A.
In Russia, carrots are grown in large quantities, both varieties and hybrids. At the same time, there are restraining factors of its production, namely: lack of moisture, extreme temperature conditions, the incidence of alternariosis. From year to year, the consumption of carrots is growing and the demand is growing accordingly. Of those registered in the state register, 49% are F1 hybrids of canteen carrots. Of these, 28% of the domestic selection (selection Federal Scientific Vegetable Centre, Poisk Agro Holding, LLC «Breeding station named after N. N. Timofeev» etc.) and foreign firms (Bejo, Rijk Zwaan, Monsanto, etc.) – 72%. Due to intensive farming, there is an accumulation of diseases, therefore, the breeding of new resistant hybrids becomes more effective than the use of increased doses of fungicides. The research was carried out in the open ground of the Moscow region. Individual assessment of the complex of morphological and economic-biological characteristics of carrots was carried out according to standard methods. A new promising hybrid of carrots, the F1 Mustang, has been developed and tested in the Moscow and Tambov regions. Medium-bodied hybrid, berlicum/nantes variety type. The rosette of leaves is semi-erect. The root crop is smooth, cylindrical with a shoot to the base, obtuse, 17–19 cm long, orange in color. The core is small orange. Root crop weight 180–210 g. It is characterized by a stable yield and suitability for long-term storage of root crops. The content of dry matter 10.5–15.0%, sugars 8.5–11.0%, carotene up to 20 mg per 100 g of raw material. Passed production tests in the largest vegetable-growing commodity farm of JSC «Kulikovo» (Dmitrov district, Moscow region), on an area of 10 hectares. It showed good results, productivity and marketability. Commercial yield – 60,0–73,0 t/ha. The yield of commercial products is 85–90%. In 2019, he passed the state variety testing in the Central region of the Russian Federation (Ivanovo, Moscow, Ryazan, and Smolensk regions). The highest yield of the F1 Mustang hybrid was recorded in the Ryazan region at 116 t/ha. and the Moscow region 65 t/ha. The tasting rating of fresh products ranged from 4.0 to 4.4 points. A high rating was received in the Moscow region. The share of standard products on average in the regions was 80.0%, the highest figure was recorded in the Moscow region – 94.4%.
Key words: carrots, hybrids, yield, marketability, stability.
Khovrin A.N., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), associate professor, head of department of breeding and seed growing, ARRIVG – branch of the FSBSI Federal Scientific Vegetable Centre, head of department of breeding and primary seed production of Poisk Agro Holding.E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kosenko M.A., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow of department of breeding and seed growing, ARRIVG – branch of the FSBSI Federal Scientific Vegetable Centre, breeder of the Poisk Agro Holding. E-mail: email@example.com
- Carrot Hybrids for commodity production / A.N. Khovrin, M.A. Kosenko, A.V. Kornev, L.M. Sokolova // Potato and vegetables. 2019. No.7. Pp. 32–33. DOI: 10.25630/PAV.2019.21.24.009 (In Russ.).
- Leunov V.I. Directions in selection and seed production of vegetable root crops // Potato and vegetables. 2017. No.10. Pp. 6–9 (In Russ.).
- Borscht group vegetables in Russia / A.F. Razin, M.V. Shatilov, R.A. Meshcheryakova, T.N. Surikhina, O.A. Razin, G.A. Telegina // Potato and vegetables. 2019. No.10. Pp. 26–28. DOI: 10.25630/PAV.2019.37.28.009 (In Russ.).
- Stepanov V.A. et al. New assortment for selection of vegetable root crops and technologies for its maintenance // Vegetables of Russia. 2018. No.2 (40). Pp. 28–31. DOI: 10.18619/2072-9146-2018-2-28-31 (In Russ.).
- State register of selection achievements approved for use. Vol. 1. «Plant Varieties» (official publication). Moscow: Rosinformagrotech, 2020. 680 p. (In Russ.).
- Domestic varieties and hybrids for retail chains / O.V. Baklanova, O.R. Davletbaeva, M.G Ibragimbekov, M.A. Kosenko, G.A. Kostenko, T.A. Tereshonkova, L.N. Timakova, L.A. Chistyakova, A.N. Khovrin // Potato and vegetables. 2018. No.10. Pp. 2–7. DOI: 10.25630/PAV.2018.10.18441 (In Russ.).
- Methods of accelerated selection of table carrots for complex resistance to fungal diseases (alternariosis and fusariosis) / V.I. Leunov, A.N. Hovrin, T.A. Tereshonkova, N.S. Gorshkova, L.M. Sokolova, K.L. Alekseeva. M., 2011. 56 p. (In Russ.).
- Leunov V.I. Table root crops in Russia. Moscow, 2011. 272 p. (In Russ.).
- Kornev A.V. Evaluation and creation of the source material of table carrots with a diverse color of the root crop and an increased content of biologically active substances (β-carotene, lutein, lycopene and anthocyanins): dis. сand. of agricultural sciences. Moscow, 2015. 111 p. (In Russ.).
- Sokolova L.M. Creating the source material of table carrots for selection for resistance to Alternaria radicinia m. Dr. Et. e. and Fusarium avenaceum link. Ex er.: abstract dis. сand. of agricultural sciences. Moscow, 2010. 32 p. (In Russ.).
- Litvinov S.S. Method of field experience in vegetable growing. Moscow: Rosselkhozakademiya, 2011. 648 p. (In Russ.).
- Koryakin V.V., Ryabov A.A. Two-Year study of carrot varieties and hybrids // Science and education. 2019. No.2. 399 p. (In Russ.).
For citing: Khovrin A.N., Kosenko M.A. F1 Mustang – a new hybrid of carrots. Potato and vegetables. 2020. No7. Pp. 24-27. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2020.85.56.003 (In Russ.).