Bocherova I.N., Suslova V.A., Kurunina D.P.
The purpose of these studies was to evaluate new varieties of melons and gourds in comparison with the standards for the main economically valuable traits. The object of research is varieties of table watermelon, melon and large-fruited pumpkin. The studies were carried out in the Bykovsky district of the Volgograd region in 2018–2020 in dry conditions. The soils of the study area are light chestnut, sandy loam, light in composition. The experiments were carried out in triplicate, 40 plants per plot. The assessment was carried out in comparison with the standards: watermelon, Sinchevsky, melon, Osen, pumpkin, Romantica. During the growing season, appropriate observations and counts were carried out. As a result of many years of breeding work, new varieties of watermelon have been created – Malakhit, Timosha; melons – Harmony, Katyusha; pumpkin – Eliya and GK 72. During the comparative assessment, it was determined that all new varieties of melons and gourds exceed the standards for the main economically valuable traits. In terms of productivity, watermelon varieties Malakhit and Timosha exceeded the standard on average over three years of research by 14.6 and 45.8%, respectively. Above the standard, the new varieties also had dry matter indicators, for the Timosha variety, the dry matter percentage ranged from 10.6 to 12.6%, for the Malakhit variety – from 10.8 to 12.4%, while for the Sinchevsky standard this indicator was from 10.0 to 12.0%. Created melon varieties were also distinguished by high rates. The average yield over the standard was 6.8 t / ha for the Katyusha variety, and 4.5 t/ha for the Harmony variety. The melon variety Katyusha stood out in terms of large fruit size, the average fruit weight is 3.0 kg (standard – 2.3 kg). The pumpkin varieties Eliya and GK 72 had an average yield higher than the standard by 15.2 and 12.3 t/ha, respectively. In terms of dry matter, the excess was from 0.8 to 2.6% over the years of the study. Based on the results of three years of research, it can be said that the created varieties of melons and gourds surpass the earlier zoned varieties in terms of the main economically valuable characteristics and meet the requirements of a modern commodity producer.
Key words: watermelon, melon, large-fruited pumpkin, yield, quality, standard
Bocherova I.N., research fellow of the Breeding Department, Bykovo melon breeding experimental station, the branch of the Federal State Budgetary Institution “Federal Scientific Center for Vegetable Growing”. E-mail: BBSOS34@yandex.ru
Suslova V.A., junior research fellow of the Breeding Department, Bykovo melon breeding experimental station, the branch of the Federal State Budgetary Institution “Federal Scientific Center for Vegetable Growing”
Kurunina D.P., research fellow of the Breeding Department, Bykovo melon breeding experimental station, the branch of the Federal State Budgetary Institution “Federal Scientific Center for Vegetable Growing”
- Malueva S. V., Varivoda E.A., Bocherova I.N. Stages of the process when creating a variety of watermelon Malachite Vegetable crops of Russia. 2019. No2. Pp. 31–33 DOI: 10.18619/2072-9146-2019-2-31-33. (In Russ.).
- Soldatenko A.V., Pyshnaya O.N. The Role of Vegetable Breeding and Modern Research in Food Stability Vegetable crops of Russia. 2018. No5. Pp. 5–8. DOI: 10.18619/2072-9146-2018-5-5-8. (In Russ.).
- Malueva S.V., Varivoda E.A., Bocherova I.N. Promising variety of watermelon Meteor Vegetable crops of Russia. 2017. No5. Pp. 76–77. DOI: 10.18619/2072-9146-2017-5-76-77. (In Russ.).
- Selection is the basis of import substitution in the vegetable growing industry V.F. Pivovarov, A.V. Soldatenko, O.N. Pyshnaya, L.K. Gurkina, T.S. Naumenko. Vegetable crops of Russia. 2017. No3. Pp. 3–15. DOI: 10.18619/2072-9146-2017-3-3-15. (In Russ.).
- Fursa T.T. Selection of melons and gourds. Metodicheskie ukazaniya. Leningrad. 1988. 78 p. (In Russ.).
- Litvinov S.S. Field experiment technique in vegetable growing. Moscow. Rossel'hozakademiya. 2011. 125 p. (In Russ.).
- Dyutin K.E. Metodicheskie ukazaniya po selekcii arbuza na ustojchivost' k antraknozu. Moscow. 1980. 14 p. (In Russ.).
- Selection of parental pairs and creation of source material for breeding new varieties of watermelon. T.G. Koleboshina, G.S. Egorova, S.V. Malueva, E.A. Varivoda. Oroshaemoe zemledelie. 2018. No4. Pp. 44–47. (In Russ.).
- Varivoda E.A., Bocherova I.N., Varivoda G.V. Collectible samples of the Bykovskaya station - the source material for the creation of new varieties of watermelon. Vegetable crops of Russia. 2019. No1. P. 37-41 DOI:10.18619/2072-9146-2019-1-37-41. (In Russ.).
- Comparative evaluation of new varieties and hybrid populations of melon T.G. Koleboshina, N.G. Bajbakova, E.A. Varivoda, G. S. Egorova. Izvestiya NV AUK. 2020. No2(58). Pp. 57–65. DOI: 10.32786/2071-9485-2020-02-05. (In Russ.).
- Himich G.A., Korotceva I.B. Conveyor of varieties of canteen pumpkin selection by VNIISSOK Vegetable crops of Russia. 2018. No1. Pp. 63–65. DOI:10.18619/2072-9146-2018-1-63-65. (In Russ.).
For citing: Bocherova I.N., Suslova V.A., Kurunina D.P. Comparative evaluation of new varieties of melon crops in the Volgograd region. Potato and vegetables. 2022. No3. Pp. 32-36. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2022.34.33.006 (In Russ.).