Simakov E.A., Anisimov B.V., Mityushkin A.V., Zhuravlev A.A., Gaizatulin A.S.
In recent years, according to the FSBI Rosselkhoznadzor, the share of certified seed potatoes of varieties of foreign selection continues to increase from 77.4% in 2017 to 86.7% in 2021, while the share of domestic varieties decreases from 22.6% in 2017 to 13.3% in 2021. At the same time, foreign seed breeding companies strive not only to meet the needs of the modern market, but also contribute to its active development through constant variety renewal and variety exchange. Unlike foreign varieties, domestic varieties are slowly moving into the fields of commodity producers and do not compete with them. To increase the competitiveness of Russian varieties, maximum compliance of domestic breeding achievements with the best foreign varieties-analogues in demand on the market of seed and commodity potatoes is required. Under the circumstances, it is possible to increase the efficiency of breeding with its transfer to a qualitatively new level only on the basis of public and private partnership. The basis for the development of domestic potato breeding is the organization of two or three federal breeding and genetic centers, providing them with the necessary budget funding to complete the stage of prebreeding or preselection, including screening and constant updating of the gene pool, the search for effective donors of economically useful traits, hybridization in various areas of breeding, the development of bioengineering technologies and marker-assisted selection.Regional scientific institutions and agro-enterprises positioned as basic seed breeding centers in the number of 7-8 in Russia are enough to create modern domestic developments that meet the requirements of the market and are competitive with the best foreign breeding achievements. The cooperation of federal and regional scientific and production structures for potato breeding and seed production is presented in such a way that the main link in the creation and promotion of new promising varieties becomes a regional seed breeding center interested in the successful sale of varieties on the market of seed and commodity potatoes and able to collect royalties for its use. At the same time, there is an opportunity for financial support of science in the face of breeding and genetic centers on contractual terms with breeding and seed centers.
Key words: potatoes, breeding, varieties, competitiveness, public-private partnership.
Simakov E.A. (author for correspondence), D. Sci. (Agr.), head of the experimental gene pool department. E-mail: email@example.com
Anisimov B.V., Cand. Sci. (Biol.), head of the certification and standardization laboratory
Mityushkin A.V., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), head of the laboratory for selection of varieties for processing
Zhuravlev A.A., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow
Gaizatulin A.S., research fellowLorch potato research Institute
- Current trends in the development of breeding and seed production of potatoes. E.A. Simakov, B.V. Anisimov, S.V. Zhevora, A.V. Mityushkin, A.A. Zhuravlev, A.V. Mityushkin, A.S. Gaizatulin. Potato and vegetables. 2020. No12. Pp. 22–26 (In Russ.).
- Anisimov B.V. Nutritional value of the potato and its role in a healthy diet. Potato and vegetables. 2006. No4. Pp. 9–10 (In Russ.).
- Anisimov B.V. Certification of seed potatoes: organizational structure and priorities. Potato and vegetables. 2002. No2. Pp. 23–24 (In Russ.).
- Mal'ko A.M. Analysis of the financing structure of seed breeding activities in the world and Russia. Reports of the TSHA. 2002. No273. Pp. 275–279 (In Russ.).
- Simakov E.A. Prospects for the development of the investment process in the potato breeding and seed complex. Vladikavkaz. FAT-AGRO LLC. 2015. 14 p. (In Russ.).
For citing: Development of domestic potato breeding and seed production on the principles of public-private partnership. E.A. Simakov, B.V. Anisimov, Mityushkin A.V., A.A. Zhuravlev, A.S. Gaizatulin. 2021. No12. Pp. 3-7. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2021.13.13.001 (In Russ.).