Yanchenko E.V., Yanchenko A.V., Ivanova M.I.,
Tkachenko G.V., Porvalov K.V.
Cilantro, like all green crops, refers to perishable products that quickly lose their marketable qualities. To extend the shelf life of cilantro greens, an alternative storage method is needed. In 2020–2021, studies were conducted to study the influence of packaging materials (including Xtend packages of the Israeli company StePac, which create a modified atmosphere) used in combination with an ethylene absorber (sachet) based on potassium permanganate Save Fresh, on the change in organoleptic and biochemical quality indicators of cilantro of the vegetable variety Borodinsky under various storage conditions. Fresh cilantro leaves were packed in plastic bags with a density of 15 and 35 microns, a size of 36×25 cm and a weight of 300 g and the Xtend packages, measuring 66×54 cm and weighing 800 g. The samples placed in an open polymer box served as a control. The products were stored for five days at a temperature of 10–12 °C, 14 days at a temperature of 4–6 °C and 21 days at a temperature of 1–3 °C in a refrigerator with controlled conditions. The relative humidity of the air is 90±3%. The maximum yield of commercial cilantro products is noted when using Xtend MA packaging/MH with an ethylene absorber Save Fresh: when stored for 5 days at a temperature of 10–12 °C – 95.7%, 14 days at 4–6 °C – 94.3%, 21 days at 1–3 °C – 91.7%. The maximum preservation of vitamin C in products is recorded in the Xtend packaging variant – 33.8 mg% with an indicator of 40.1 mg% immediately after cutting the greens. The use of Xtend packaging from the Israeli company StePac, which creates a modified atmosphere/modified humidity, together with an ethylene absorber based on potassium permanganate Save Fresh, allows you to reduce losses and ensure the preservation of the quality of cilantro greens of the Borodinsky vegetable variety during transportation, storage and sale.
Key words: cilantro, modified atmosphere, ethylene absorbers, short-term storage
Yanchenko E.V., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), leading research fellow of the department of agriculture and agricultural chemistry, ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSVC. E-mail: email@example.com
Yanchenko A.V., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), leading research fellow of Department of Technology and Innovation, ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSVC. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ivanova M.I., DSc (Agr.), professor of RAS, head research of Department breeding and seed growing, ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSVC. E-mail: email@example.com
Tkachenko G.V., General Director of Arteria Inter Fresh LLC. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Porvalov K.V., Commercial Director of Arteria Inter Fresh LLC. E-mail: email@example.com
- Coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.): a potential source of high-value components for functional foods and nutraceuticals – a review. N.G. Sahib, F. Anwar, A.H. Gilani, A.A. Hamid, N. Saari, K.M. Alkharfy. Phytother. Res. 2013. Vol. 27. Pp. 1439–1456. DOI: 10.1002/ptr.4897.
- Ivanova M.I., Kashleva A.I. Сoriander on greens. Potato and vegetables. 2016. No6. Pp. 10–11. (In Russ.).
- Interfresh: post-harvest solutions [Web resource] URL: https://www.inter-fresh.com. Access date: 18.08.21 (In Russ.).
- StePac: official website [Web resource] URL: https://www.stepac.com. Access date: 17.08.21.
- Gaikwad K.K., Singh S., Negi Y.S. Ethylene scavengers for active packaging of fresh food produce. Environmental Chemistry Letters. 2020. Vol. 18. Pp. 269–284. DOI: 10.1007/s10311-019-00938-1.
- Kulaeva O.N. Ethylene in plant life. Soros Educational Magazine. No11. 1998. Pp. 78–84 (In Russ.).
- GOST 32788-2014. Fresh coriander (сilantro) – greens. Technical conditions [Web resource] URL: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200112289. Access date: 18.08.21. (In Russ.).
- Hardenburg R.E., Watada A.E., Wang C.Y. The commercial storage of fruits, vegetables, and florists and nursery stocks. USDA Agriculture Handbook. 1986. No66. Pp. 11–12.
- Panta R., Khanal A. Effect of Modified Atmospheric Packaging on Postharvest Storage Life of Cilantro (Coriandrum sativum L.) Stored Under Different Conditions. Journal of Horticulture. 2018. Vol. 5. Issue 3. P. 243. DOI:10.4172/2376-0354.1000243
For citing: The effect of packaging materials and an ethylene absorber on the preservation of сilantro. E.V. Yanchenko, A.V. Yanchenko, M.I. Ivanova, G.V. Tkachenko, K.V. Porvalov. Potato and vegetables. 2021. No10. Pp. 24-27. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2021.31.41.001 (In Russ.).