Ognev V.V., Chernova T.V., Kostenko A.N.
Sweet pepper has gained great popularity in Russia. Large-scale breeding work has been launched on culture. The area under new varieties and hybrids is constantly increasing. There is a growing demand for quality seeds to ensure the production of products. There was a need to restore domestic commercial seed production. This is facilitated by the rise in price of commercial seed production on a global scale, which makes it promising to gradually transfer part of the seed fields to Russia. First of all, this applies to crops that are easier to cultivate, such as sweet peppers. Studies were conducted in the farms of a number of districts of the Rostov region in 2019–2021. The object of research was the varieties of sweet pepper of their own selection: Arsenal and Dominator. For cultivation, original seeds grown in the Rostovsky BSPC were used. Production of commercial seeds of varieties was carried out in individual and farms in the open ground. The technology provided for the cultivation of pepper plants through seedlings. The race when growing seedlings is 45 days. Seedlings were grown with cassette picking in heated spring greenhouses with a polycarbonate translucent coating. Weather conditions over the years of experiments corresponded to long-term average values. The soils in the experiments are chernozems with high natural fertility. The cultivation technology recommended for the south of Russia was used. As a result, of the conducted research and on the basis of an analysis of the state of affairs with commercial seed production of vegetable crops in the south of Russia, it was established that the soil and climatic conditions in the south of Russia allow obtaining high-quality sweet pepper seeds. Optimal conditions develop in certain microzones, where higher yields and seed quality are obtained. For sweet peppers in the Rostov region, the best are the Azov zones. To revive domestic seed production, it is necessary to solve not only the problems of choosing zones, but also staffing, equipping with specialized machinery and equipment for the allocation and refinement of seeds. Critical is the lack of domestic production of seed separators and other special machinery and equipment for seed production of vegetable crops. Large seed farms should be formed as independent business projects for the production of seeds for breeding and seed companies under contracts.
Key words: sweet pepper, commercial seed production, microzones, yield, seed quality, technical support, specialization.
Ognev V.V. (author for correspondence), Cand. Sci. (Agr.), associate professor, director of Breeding and Seed Production Centre Rostovskiy Poisk Agro company. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chernova T.V., breeder, Breeding and Seed Production Centre Rostovskiy Poisk Agro company
Kostenko A.N., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), breeder, manager, Agro company Poisk. E-mail: email@example.com
- Sweet pepper – growth strategy. V.V. Ognev, T.V. Chernova, A.N. Kostenko, Geraskina N.V., N.A. Poltavskiy. Potato and vegetables. 2019. No11. Pp. 33–36 (In Russ.).
- Ognev V.V., Chernova T.V., Poltavskiy N.A. Pepper selection for southern Russia. Potato and vegetables. 2017. No11. Pp. 38–40 (In Russ.).
- Koroleva S.V. On the secrets of a successful policy of import substitution in agriculture. Gavrish. 2017. No1. Pp. 4–6 (In Russ.).
- Bykovskiy Yu.A., Shaimanov A.A. Technological aspects of Russian seed growing. Potato and vegetables. 2015. No5. Pp. 33–35 (In Russ.).
- Klimenko N.N. Commercial seed production as a tool for import substitution of vegetable seeds. Potato and vegetables. 2016. No5. Pp. 2–3 (In Russ.).
- Monakhos G.F. Vegetable and seed production in Russia at the present stage. Vegetable grower’s Bulletin. 2012. No1. Pp. 15–21 (In Russ.).
- Khrustalev Yu.P. et al. Climate and agroclimatic resources of the Rostov region. Rostov on Don. Bataisk Published. 2002. 184 p (In Russ.).
- Golubev Ya.A. et al. The technology of producing sweet peppers in the conditions of southern Russia. Krasnodar. Krasnodar research Institute of Vegetable and Potato. 2008. 32 p (In Russ.).
- Litvinov S.S. Method of field experience in vegetable production. Moscow. All-Russian Vegetable Research Institute. 2011. 649 p (In Russ.).
For citing: Ognev V.V., Chernova T.V., Kostenko A.N. Commercial seed production of sweet peppers in the open ground in the south of Russia. Potato and vegetables. 2022. No2. Pp. 36-40. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2022.65.93.006 (In Russ.).