Maslovskiy S.A., Melnikov E.K., Khovrin A.N., Davletbaeva O.R., Ibragimbekov M.G.
Lettuce (Lactuca sativa) is a precocious crop and is perfectly suitable for growing in protected ground, in particular on hydroponic installations. The lettuce is stored for a very short time. Storage refers to the achievement of minimal losses in the time interval between cleaning and implementation. The purpose of the research is to evaluate four varieties of lettuce selected by the Poisk Agro Firm (Green Star, Green Master, Vostorg and Poisk ST 16), for suitability for short-term storage for 7 days, grown under low-volume technology on a hydroponic installation. The study was carried out in 2020 in the selection center of the Poisk Agro Firm on a hydroponic installation using the ebb and flow system with artificial lighting, chemical analyses were performed in ARRIVG – branch of FSCVG. Comparative evaluation of salads was carried out according to the indicators of natural weight loss and changes in chemical composition as a result of storage for seven days. Indicators of natural weight loss varied significantly depending on the variety. The lowest loss of weight (97.5–97.7% regardless of the harvest period) was shown by the Poisk ST 16 variety, which, combined with its high taste qualities, allows us to recommend it for growing in protected ground conditions. The dry matter content in this variety reached 10.1%, which indicates its high potential keeping capacity. The content of sugars in the lettuce leaves harvested in August varied slightly, the greatest number of them was noted in the Poisk ST 16 variety (2.48–3.15%). According to the sugar content in the products obtained in October, the Poisk ST 16 varieties (5.5%) and Vostorg (5.7%) were distinguished. The highest content of ascorbic acid (4.5% each) was observed in the Poisk ST 16 and Green Star varieties. The minimum content of nitrates (1244 mg%) was observed in the Poisk ST 16 variety. The general results of the chemical analysis carried out after a week of storage of these varieties of lettuce (Green Star, Green Master, Vostorg and Poisk ST 16), prove their suitability for short-term storage. The studied varieties of lettuce should be recommended for industrial cultivation, in order to minimize product losses at the stages of harvesting, transportation and sale.
Key words: varieties, lettuce, growing, leaf lettuce, testing, breeding, hydroponics, storage, chemical analysis
Maslovskiy S.A., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), assoc. prof. of department of technology for storage and processing of fruit and vegetable and crop products, RSAU–MTAA after K.A. Timiryazev. E-mail: email@example.com
Melnikov E.K., student of RSAU–MTAA after K.A. Timiryazev. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Khovrin A.N., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), assoc. prof., head of department of breeding and seed production, ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSVC, head of department of breeding and primary seed production of the Poisk Agrofirm. E-mail: email@example.com
Davletbaeva O.R., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), research fellow of laboratory of selection of table root crops and onions, ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSVC, breeder of the Poisk Agrofirm. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ibragimbekov M.G., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), research fellow of laboratory of selection of table root crops and onions, ARRIVG – branch of FSBSI FSVC, breeder of the Poisk Agrofirm. E-mail: email@example.com
- The chemical composition of Russian food products: handbook. Ed. I.M. Skurikhin, V.A. Tutel'yan. Moscow. DeLi print. 2002. 235 p. (In Russ.).
- Bazdyrev G.I. Agrobiological bases of production, storage and processing of crop production. Moscow. INFA-M. 2014. 725 p. (In Russ.).
- Ludilov V.A., Ivanova M.I. Everything about vegetables: a complete reference book. Moscow. JSC Fiton+. 2010. 424 p. (In Russ.).
- Kaptel A.P., Pyrkova E.A., Naumova N.L. About food values and requirements for the quality of fresh green vegetable crops – salads. Innovations and Food Safety. 2019. Pp. 7–13. DOI: 10.31677/2311-0651-2019-23-1-7-13. (In Russ.).
- Ivanova M.I., Kashleva A.I. The current state of research and the main directions of selection of lettuce. Collection of scientific papers based on the materials of the International Scientific and Practical Conference dedicated to the VII Kvasnikov Readings. Vereya. Ryazan Regional Printing House. 2016. Pp. 133–138 (In Russ.).
- Davletbaeva O.R., Ibragimbekov M.G., Khovrin A.N. New variety of lettuce Poisk St 16 for hydroponics. Potato and vegetables. 2018. No3. Pp. 39–40 (In Russ.).
- TR CU 021/2011 Technical Regulations of the Customs Union «About food safety». [Web resource] URL: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/902320560. Date of access: 22.01.20 (In Russ.).
- Shirokov E.P. Workshop on storage technology and processing of fruits and vegetables. Moscow. Agropromizdat. 1985. 192 p. (In Russ.).
For citing: Evaluation of lettuce in short-term storage when grown hydroponically. S.A. Maslovskiy, E.K. Melnikov, A.N. Khovrin, O.R. Davletbaeva, M.G. Ibragimbekov. Potato and vegetables. 2021. No6. Pp. 19-22. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2021.74.42.002 (In Russ.).