Timakova L.N., Borisov V.A., Filroze N.A, Uspenskaya O.N., Sokolova L.M.
The nutritional value of table beets is determined by a high content of sugars, a peculiar composition of nitrogenous substances. This culture is a source of the natural dye betanin, which has anti-carcinogenic, antibacterial and antiviral effects on the human body. The article presents the results of a study of biochemical qualities of root crops of table beet. Research was conducted in the period 2014–2019 on 6 varieties of beet of table selection of the Poisk Agrо Holding. Widespread samples of domestic and Dutch breeding Bordo 237 (FSCVG) and Pablo F1 (Bejo), zoned in all regions of the Russian Federation, were taken as a standard. Field experiments were performed according to a single methodology on the basis of ARRIVG – branch of FSCVG. The soil of the experimental site belongs to the type of alluvial meadow, medium-loamy, saturated, moisture-intensive. Weather conditions were most favorable for the growth and development of table beet plants during the growing season of 2014–2017. A feature of the weather conditions of 2018-2019 was uneven precipitation, which affected the time of germination of seeds. The lack of moisture during the growing season was compensated by irrigation by sprinkling, maintaining the HB at the level of 80–85%. The largest amount of dry matter accumulates Russian single-seeded variety – 18.4%, which corresponds to the level of the standard Bordeaux 237. High sugar content is characteristic of the Creole variety – 10.7%, and exceeds the standards by 1.8%. Samples that are susceptible to diseases of the leaf rosette during the growing season of the culture-Ethiopian and F1 Pablo accumulate less of the pigment betanin. The biochemical qualities of Creole root crops are more associated with its genotype. The accumulation of nitrates in samples is highly susceptible to the conditions of the year. The nitrate content varies more than 10 times depending on the year in the varieties Slavyanka, Russian single-seeded, Creole And Bordo 237. The output of marketable products after 6 months of storage in the studied samples ranged from 49.1 to 91.4%.Excellent preservation at the level of standards – over 85% showed the Russian single-seeded variety.
Key words: red beet, variety, dry matter, sugar, betaine, safety, damage score
Timakova L.N., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow, department of breeding and seed production, ARRIVG – branch of FSCVG, breeder of Poisk Agro Holding. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Borisov V.A., D. Sci. (Agr.), professor, chief researcher of the department of agriculture and agricultural chemistry, ARRIVG – branch of FSCVG. E-mail: email@example.com
Filroze N.A., research fellow of laboratory of storage and agriculture, ARRIVG – branch of FSCVG. E-mail: Suburban_Chevrolet@mail.ru
Uspenskaya O.N., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow, department of agriculture and agricultural chemistry. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sokolova L.M., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow, department of breeding and seed production, ARRIVG – branch of FSCVG
- Borisov V.A., Romanova A.V., Filroze N.A. Russian beet varieties are high quality and hardiness. Potato and vegetables. 2013. No9. P. 18 (In Russ.).
- Solveig J., Hanson J., Irwin L. Genotype Is Primarily Responsible for Variation in Table Beet Geosmin Concentration, but Complex Genotype Environment Interactions Influence Variation in Total Dissolved Solids. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2019. 144 (6). Pp. 429–438.
- Borisov V.A., Litvinov S.S., Romanova A.V. Quality and keeping quality of vegetables. Moscow. 2003. 625 p. (In Russ.).
- Cai Y., Sun M., Corke H Antioxidant activity of betalains from plants of the 29 Amaranhaceae. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 2003. Vol. 51. No8. Pp. 2288–2294.
- Kanner J., Harel S., Granit R. Betalains – A New Class of Dietary Cationized Antioxidants. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2001. No49. Pp. 5178–5185.
- Sokolov O.A., Semenov V.M., Agaev V.A. Nitrates in the environment. Pushchino. 1990. 316 p. (In Russ.).
- As varieties of table beet breeding ARRIVG – branch of FSCVG / L.N. Timakova, N.A. Fil'roze, V.A. Borisov, M.A. Dolgopolova. Proceedings of FNCO. 2019. No2. Pp. 66–70. DOI: 10.18619/2658-4832-2019-2-66-70 (In Russ.).
- Burenin V.I. Methodological guidelines for the study and maintenance of the world collection of root crops. Leningrad. 1989. 165 p. (In Russ.).
- Sokolova D.V. Ecological and geographical study of betanin accumulation in perspective beet samples from the VIR collection. Works on applied botany, genetics and breeding. 2019. Vol. 180. No4. P. 68. DOI: doi.org/10.30901/2227-8834-2019-4-66-74 (In Russ.).
- Timakova L.N., Ludilov V.A., Elizarov O.A. Domestic varieties of table beet are not worse than foreign ones. Potato and vegetables. 2011. No2. P. 4 (In Russ.).
- Akhatov A.K. et al. Diseases and pests of vegetable crops and potatoes. Moscow. 2013. 463 p. (In Russ.).
- SanPiN 220.127.116.118-01 «Hygienic requirements for food safety and nutritional value» (as amended on July 6, 2011) [Electronic resource]. URL: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/901806306. Date of access: 03.04.2020 (In Russ.).
For citing: Assessment of the quality of beet varieties in the Moscow region / L.N. Timakova, V.A. Borisov, N.A. Filroze, O.N. Uspenskaja, L.M. Sokolova. Potato and vegetables. 2020. No7. Pp. 28-32. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2020.83.92.004 (In Russ.).