Simakov E.A., Mityushkin A.V., Zhuravlev A.A., Mityushkin Al-r V., Gaizatulin A.S., Salyukov S.S., Ovechkin S.V., Semenov V.A.
The purpose of the work is to determine the priority directions of modern development of breeding to increase the efficiency of potato production based on the use of domestic varieties of a new generation. An analysis of the effectiveness of the use of potato assortment shows that in 2021, out of 460 potato varieties included in the State Register of the Russian Federation, only 220, or 47.8%, were recorded in production. Moreover, among the 20 leading varieties there are only two Russian varieties that make up 10.1% of the total volume of certified seed potatoes used in commercial plantings. In general, over the past ten years, the share of domestic varieties in the total volume of seed potatoes has decreased by 30.5%, while foreign varieties have increased by 28.7%. In order to overcome the dependence on the import of foreign seed material, to meet the increased requirements for the consumer and table qualities of tubers, the structure of the intended use of the crop, new promising varieties are proposed that fully meet the needs of the potato market. In the conditions of modern intensification of potato growing, the acceleration of the introduction of new highly productive varieties with a complex of consumer and culinary qualities is a decisive factor in increasing the gross yield and reducing the cost of its production. Taking into account the increased requirements for the consumer and culinary qualities of tubers of domestic varieties and the structure of the intended use of the crop, programs for targeted breeding of a new group of promising potato varieties have been successfully implemented at the Russian Potato Research Centre. Table varieties Gulliver, Meteor, Sturdy, Sprinter (early); Ariel», Grand, Krasa Meshchery, Sadon, Flagman (for long-term storage) are suitable for retail network trade. For healthy (dietary) nutrition, the varieties Sineglazka 2016, Vasilek, Fioletovyi and Syurpriz are suitable, and for processing into potato products – Debyut, Evpatii, Varyag (crispy potatoes); Vostorg, Favorit, Fritella, Ekstra (French fries); Artur, Salyut, Signal, Fobos (dry puree). Varieties Noktyurn, Kumach, Plamya and Utro, combining high yields with sufficiently high starchiness of tubers, are recommended for starch production.
Key words: potato, selection, variety, economically useful features, intended use, suitability for processing
Simakov E.A. (author for correspondence), D. Sci. (Agr.), head of the experimental gene pool department. E-mail: email@example.com
Mityushkin A.V., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), head of the laboratory for selection of varieties for processing
Zhuravlev A.A., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow, experimental gene pool department
Mityushkin Al-r V., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), senior research fellow, experimental gene pool department
Gaizatulin A.S., Cand. Sci. (Agr.), research fellow, experimental gene pool department
Salyukov S.S., research fellow, laboratory for selection of varieties for processing
Ovechkin S.V., research fellow, laboratory for selection of varieties for processing
Semenov V.A., research fellow, laboratory for selection of varieties for processing
Russian Potato Research Centre
- Shpaar D., Bykin A., Dreger D. Potato. Cultivation, harvesting and storage. Moscow. Moscow: DLV Agrodelo. 2010. 458 p. (In Russ.).
- Yashina I.M. The significance of the variety in modern potato production technologies. Actual problems of the modern potato production industry: materials of the scientific and practical conference. Cheboksary: KUP ChR «Agro-Innovatsii». 2010. Pp. 41–44 (In Russ.).
- Simakov E.A., Anisimov B.V. Modern systems of seed production – an important factor in increasing the efficiency of potato production. Potato and vegetables. 2009. No10. Pp. 2–6 (In Russ.).
- Simakov E.A. Modern trends and prospects of innovative development of potato breeding and seed production. Modern trends and prospects of innovative development of potato growing: materials of the scientific and practical conference. Cheboksary: KUP ChR «Agro-Innovatsii». 2011. Pp. 6–9 (In Russ.).
- Simakov E.A. Improving the competitiveness of domestic potato breeding. Potato system. 2016. No3. Pp. 50–53 (In Russ.).
- Accatino P., Peloguin M.S. Inheritance of potato chip color at the diploid and tetraploid levels of ploid. Amer. potato J. 1973. Vol. 50. Pp. 335–340.
- Yashina I.M., Yur'eva N.O. Genetic bases of potato breeding for suitability for processing. Breeding and seed production. 1992. No1. P. 145 (In Russ.).
- Yashina I.M. Genetic prerequisites for the breeding of highly starchy potato varieties. Genetics. 1982. Vol. XVIII. No7. Pp. 8–14 (In Russ.).
For citing: Selection of competitive potato varieties for various purposes. E.A. Simakov, A.V. Mityushkin, A.A. Zhuravlev, Al-r V. Mityushkin, A.S. Gaizatulin, S.S. Salyukov, S.V. Ovechkin, V.A. Semenov. Potato and vegetables. 2023. No1. Pp. 35-40. https://doi.org/10.25630/PAV.2023.49.99.005 (In Russ.).